If you're looking to get eliminate a flea infestation in your home it can sometimes seem like a hopeless task. One of many problems related to fleas is the life-cycle. Most people only concentrate on the fleas they can see--the adults. Problem is, adults only compromise 5% from the total life cycle. The rest of the 95% of fleas in your house contain "baby" fleas. Included in this are eggs, pupae, and larvae. These baby stages are not visible towards the naked eye and live from the host animal. Therefore, should you concentrate 100% of the efforts on attempting to kill just the adult fleas in your pet, you're not going to have a flea free home!
Unfortunately, due to the life-cycle, a flea infestation cannot be eliminated within just several short days. If only it were that easy! Flea products may claim that they can kill up to 90-100% of adult fleas in your pet within a period of Twenty four hours or less, but there are many baby fleas in your house that will eventually become adults and hop on your pet.
There are three main goals of an effective flea control program:
1. Kill adult fleas on pets before reproduction begins.
2. Eliminate existing environmental infestations including eggs, larvae, and pupae.
3. Prevent further infestations around the pet and also the environment by preventing the development of flea eggs, larvae, and pupae.
It's important to keep in mind that the fleas you currently see in your pet came from eggs which were laid three to eight weeks ago. Unless your dog picked up a random flea or two from the outdoors, that means the eggs that are currently in your house may also be hatching into adult fleas in three to 8 weeks. Plus, if your home or yard has already been infested with flea eggs, larvae, and pupae, you will see adult fleas emerging daily.
Normally, the flea life cycle can last between 21 and 56 days based on environmental conditions. The cycle can happen within Fourteen days or take so long as 300 days. The longest delay can happen in the pupae stage while they stand in their cocoons for any suitable host. This is why lots of people getting into a new home or apartment are often greeted with fleas. Once the old residents moved out the fleas were instructed to hunker down and watch for new hosts to arrive.
| ||Posted 11/30/2012 7:25 PM - 105 Views - 0 eProps - 0 comments|
Give eProps or Post a Comment